Hidden in civil buildings to save precious space the church of San Giovanni Elemosinario, the "church of the merchants," is truly a hidden jewel. A masterpiece of Renaissance architecture, it is a true compendium of sixteenth-century painting. The church conserves decorations by the confraternities of arts and crafts that constantly frequented it and works of art by great painters, such as St. John the Almsgiver by Titian and Saints Catherine, Sebastian and Roch by Pordenone. From here, a short walk takes us to Campo San Giacomo dall'Orio, where we see the apses of the church of the same name, of extremely ancient origin. The church of San Giacomo dall'Orio is rich not only in marvelous works but also in an atmosphere typical of primitive Christianity to be found only in the most ancient churches. A splendid example of ship's-keel wooden ceiling characterizes this building, along with the notable works it conserves, by Palma il Giovane, Giambattista Pittoni, Padovanino, Paolo Veronese, and the beautiful Virgin with Child and Saints by Lorenzo Lotto. The church of San Polo, with its warm and cozy atmosphere, is of interest above all for the fourteen magnificent paintings of the Stations of the Cross by Giandomenico Tiepolo, while we can also admire Giambattista Tiepolo's The Virgin Appearing to St. John Nepomuk and the beautiful Last Supper by Tintoretto. The basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari preserves two great masterpieces of Titian's (Tiziano Vecellio): the Assumption, on the high altar, perhaps his most famous work, and the Pesaro Altarpiece, from the name of the family that commissioned it. Titian died during the terrible plague that ravaged Venice in 1576 and, in accordance with his will, was buried in the Frari basilica - an exception to the extremely strict sanitary regulations prescribed by the Senate of the Serenissima.