• march 22nd the church of San Sebastiano will be closed

Churches >  Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
Wooden detail of the choir

Author: Anonymous Northern sculptors from Strasboug and the Lombardo workshop
Century: XV°
DATE: 1475 POSITION: choir (on the map n°26) MEASUREMENTS: 4,50x13,70x16m METHOD: sculpture and inlay work MATERIAL: marble and wood

In 1475, the exterior front and side of the choir was surrounded with stones from Istria. It is divided into many sections whose bas-reliefs represent the patriarchs and prophets of the Old Testament .

Under the ambos, the Four Doctors of the Church representing: Saint Ambrose, Saint Gregory the Great, Saint  Augustine and Saint Jerome. Above the crown there are statues of the apostles Saint Anthony and Saint Francis; Our Lady and Saint John the Evangelist that are positioned on the sides of the large Crucifix attributed to Verrocchio. The two busts of Saint Bernardino and Saint Louis of Anjou are placed upon two bases that hold the arch. The latter ones and the Four Doctors of the Church are the work of Pietro Lombardo while the rest is attributed to his workshop.

The two small doors with beautiful inlay work that lead to ambos are probably by Lorenzo da Lendinara Canozi (+1477)
Chorus - Associazione per le Chiese
del Patriarcato di Venezia

San Polo, 2986 - 30125 Venezia
tel +39 041 27 50 462
fax +39 041 27 50 494
P.Iva 03034040273
REA VE-275205