Author: Girolamo Brusaferro
DATE: 1737 POSITION: fifth altar on the left (on map n°77) METHOD: cartoon painting
The altar is dedicated to Saints Mark and Phocas, patrons of the "Calafati" (the workers of Arsenale).
According to Sansovino, originally the wooden structure was supposed to be enriched by the Saint Mark altarpiece done by Giorgio Veneziano. Furthermore, in 1726, the painting's description was in correspondence to the artist's name, to the figured subject, and to a dated panel that depicts Saint Mark, conserved in Brera.
Such verification conducts to the theory that this painting was the surviving part of an original structure in which
That finding led to the hypothesis that this painting was the surviving part of an original altarpiece structure in which the Virgin and Saints Mark and Phocas appeared in the center, respectively, on the left and right.