Author: Giambattista Tiepolo
DATE: 1748 POSITION: first chapel on the right (on the map n° 5) MEASUREMENT: 340 X 168 cm METHOD: oil painting
The painting was commissioned to Tiepolo in 1740 but completed probably only in 1749, the year of the altar's consecration in which it is placed.
The altar, work of the architect Giorgio Massari, was realized in Sicilian jasper, the predominance of the vivd red stone accentuates the contrast between the elegant white cromatic plaster frames likely executed by one of Tiepolo's collaborators, known as Pelle.
The two anterior columns, comply to the two higher pilasters, supporting a triangular tympanum enhanced by an expanded lobe cross placed in the center. The balustrade made of Carrara marble composed of twelve columns, executed by Corbetto in 1745, highlights the colored contrast, while the wrought-ironed gate decorated with a flowered pattern, work by Carlo Rubbini of 1744, completes the structure.