Author: Jacopo Robusti known as Tintoretto
DATE: 1579-80 POSITION: sacristy (on map n°20) MEASUREMENT: 349x530 cm METHOD:oil painting
This work, along with Christ praying in the Olive Grove and The Washing of the Feet, were originally located in the now demolished Santa Margherita Church and are currently conserved in the Santo Stefano Church sacristy.
The painting dates back to 1580 and was done by the great Venetian maestro during his vigorous maturity. It is one of the many Tintoretto communion representations sub specie panis that confirms Rome's implied authority after the Tridentine decrees.
The painting turns out to be dependent on the Scuola di San Rocco Grand Hall masterpieces, both stylistically and iconographically. The Last Supper in Santo Stefano, indeed, exalts the scene's excitement, highlights Tintoretto's usual ability to render illumination aimed to emotionally include the viewer and almost have them participant in the sacred event, brilliantly anticipating, under certain aspects, the Baroque period.