•  

Churches >  Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
Saint Mark enthroned and Saints John the Baptist, Jerome, Peter and Nicholas

Author: Bartolomeo Vivarini
Century: XV°
DATE: 1474  POSITION: Corner Chapel - Saint Mark Chapel - (on the map n°7) METHOD: painted panel

Giovanni Corner had this chapel built in 1420 and dedicated it to Saint Mark the Evangelist, in memory of his uncle Mark.

The triptych, signed by the artist, is dated 1474.

The beautiful wooden altarpiece which houses the triptych is a blooming Gothic art masterpiece: in the central section, Saint Mark sits on a marble throne surrounded by angels, while Saint John the Baptist and Saint Jerome are depicted on the left, and Saint Peter and Saint Nicholas on the right.
Chorus - Associazione per le Chiese
del Patriarcato di Venezia

San Polo, 2986 - 30125 Venezia
tel +39 041 27 50 462
fax +39 041 27 50 494
P.Iva 03034040273
REA VE-275205
info@chorusvenezia.org