Author: Bartolomeo Vivarini
DATE: 1474 POSITION: Corner Chapel - Saint Mark Chapel - (on the map n°7) METHOD: painted panel
Giovanni Corner had this chapel built in 1420 and dedicated it to Saint Mark the Evangelist, in memory of his uncle Mark.
The triptych, signed by the artist, is dated 1474.
The beautiful wooden altarpiece which houses the triptych is a blooming Gothic art masterpiece: in the central section, Saint Mark sits on a marble throne surrounded by angels, while Saint John the Baptist and Saint Jerome are depicted on the left, and Saint Peter and Saint Nicholas on the right.