Author: Jacopo Tatti detto il Sansovino
DATE: 1438 POSITION: Saint John the Baptist chapel - altar (on the map n°16) METHOD: sculpture MATERIAL: painted and gold-leafed wood
This statue, placed in the central section of the 15th century wooden altar, is the only masterpiece left in Venice from the School of the Florentines's maestro; the work bears the artist's signature Opus Donati de Florentia anno MCCCCXXXVIII.
Over time, the piece underwent two repaintings, but following the long restoration completed in 1973, the original idea of the artist has been brought to light.
On either side of this work are the statues of the Saints Zenobio and Genevieve, the work of a certain Girolamo. At the top are The Annunciation and the statue of the Risen Christ, towering over is a lily, symbol of the city of Florence. On the altar-step runs scenes from the Life of the Baptist attributed to Andrea Schiavone .
Under the altar a wooden statue contains the relics of Blessed Gentile da Matelica dei Frati Minori, who was martyred in Persia September 5, 1340 .