Author: Jacopo Negretti known as Palma il Vecchio
Century: ante X°
DATE: 1523 ca. POSITION: first altar on the right - right transept (on map n°13) MEASUREMENT: - METHOD: oil painting
The School of the Bombardieri or of St Barbara erected this altar in 1509.
In 1719 the altar was renovated. The sculptor Giuseppe Torretti executed the antependium in Carrara marble, portraying the Martyrdom of St Barbara.
The polyptych was done by Palma il Vecchio and commissioned by the confraternity: St Barbara is next to St Anthony the abbot on the right and St Sebastian on the left; on top, St Vincent Ferrei on the right and St John the Baptist on the left; the Pietà is portrayed on the top between the mouldings.