• DECEMBER 30th ARTISTI VISITS SUSPENDED  in San Giovanni Elemosinario, San Pietro and San Stae. Santa Maria del Giglio open from 2.30pm.
  • PARTNERSHIP the Choruspass holders will have a discount at the entrance to the Scuola Dalmata dei Santi Giorgio e Trifone and to Scuola Grande dei Carmini

Churches >  Church of Santo Stefano
Saint Augustine driving out the Heretics

Author: Giustino Menescardi
Century: XVIII°
DATE: 1736-43 ca.  POSITION: fourth altar on the right (on map n°9) METHOD: painting on cartoon

Originally the altar was decorated with a wooden sculpture of the patron saint, Saint Nicholas of Bari, in episcopal robes .

The altar later became a participant of often unfinished interventions: in 1460 the construction of the altar was granted to Marchesina Mocenigo who, in fact, never completed the work; in 1628 the fathers donated it to Luigi Ferro's  conservation convent who had offered to renovate it; followed by a promised restoration by Marcantonio Celesti in 1636 and by the noble Zorzi family even though it proceeded it was never brought to an end.

Finally in 1668, Lazzaro Ferro, following the canonization of Giovanni from San Facondo, dedicated the altar to Saint Augustine. On this occasione, the wooden image of Saint Nicholas was substituted with the current altarpiece.

From an architectural point of view, the altar recalls the "Calafatiche" that it faces.
Chorus - Associazione per le Chiese
del Patriarcato di Venezia

San Polo, 2986 - 30125 Venezia
tel +39 041 27 50 462
fax +39 041 27 50 494
P.Iva 03034040273
REA VE-275205