Author: Giustino Menescardi
DATE: 1736-43 ca. POSITION: fourth altar on the right (on map n°9) METHOD: painting on cartoon
Originally the altar was decorated with a wooden sculpture of the patron saint, Saint Nicholas of Bari, in episcopal robes .
The altar later became a participant of often unfinished interventions: in 1460 the construction of the altar was granted to Marchesina Mocenigo who, in fact, never completed the work; in 1628 the fathers donated it to Luigi Ferro's conservation convent who had offered to renovate it; followed by a promised restoration by Marcantonio Celesti in 1636 and by the noble Zorzi family even though it proceeded it was never brought to an end.
Finally in 1668, Lazzaro Ferro, following the canonization of Giovanni from San Facondo, dedicated the altar to Saint Augustine. On this occasione, the wooden image of Saint Nicholas was substituted with the current altarpiece.
From an architectural point of view, the altar recalls the "Calafatiche" that it faces.