DATE: 1503 POSITION: Chapel of the Milanese (on the map n°8) MEASUREMENTS: 5 x 2,50m METHOD: painted panel
Detail: Two Musicians
The chapel of the Milanese was named so, because of the Lombard colony thriving in Venice since 1361, and they had obtained permission to use it by the Franciscan friars.
The confraternity restored the chapel at his own expense and it was consecrated by the Bishop of Como Antonio Rusconi in 1421. Alvise Vivarini had no way to finish the commissioned piece, as he was caught by death; the painting was finished by the Friulian Marco Basaiti and he placed the Latin inscription: Quod Vivarine tua fatali sorte nequisti, Marcus Basitus nobile prompsit opus. 1503.
The altarpiece presents the triumphant Saint Ambrose bearing a whip on the right and a pastoral staff on the left.