• change in hours from february 24th to february 29th, the opening hours in the churches could change, in some cases the churches could be closed

Churches >  Church of Sant'Alvise

Author: Francesco Terilli
Century: XVI°
DATE: middle XVI century  POSITION: left column of the organ platform (on map n° 2a) METHOD: sculpture   MATERIAL: wood

The Redentore and Saint John the Baptist statues are located on the two columns that support the organ platform or barco.

The barco is a typical bridge structure found in female monasteries, used by the nuns for choral prayers, and traditionally placed in front of the presbytery.

Following the arrival of the Crown of Thorns relic in 1595, and the subsequental opening of the liturgical space for the external confraternities involvement, the choir was moved to its current location, above the front door. The new barco was adorned in respect to the two wooden statues of the late 16th century and enclosed with a gate in the 18th century.
Chorus - Associazione per le Chiese
del Patriarcato di Venezia

San Polo, 2986 - 30125 Venezia
tel +39 041 27 50 462
fax +39 041 27 50 494
P.Iva 03034040273
REA VE-275205