Author: Gian Maria Morlaiter
DATE: 1748 - 1750 POSITION: second statue on the left (on map n° 19) METHOD: sculpture MATERIAL: hard stone
The statue, like all the others of this series, is located in a niche, placed on a typical conoidal rococo platform, with two "modiglione" spirals (an ornamental pattern that is usually found in Corinthian capitals).
The statue of Moses was realised by Morlaiter between 1748 and 1750 and just like St Peter a terracotta model has been conserved.
Just like the complementary statue on the opposite wall, Aronne, this Moses is characterised by a strong biblical reference, particularly the Jewish text engraved on the commandment tablets that he is holding in his hand. At his feet, the gushing water alludes to the miraculous event at the cliff, making a connection between the relief Pool of the Bethesda.