POSITION: Corner chapel - left wall (on the map n° 7) MEASUREMENTS: METHOD: sculpture MATERIAL: marble
Giovanni Corner commissioned this chapel to be built in 1420 and dedicated it to Saint Mark the Evangelist in memory of his uncle Marco. The monument was built in honor of Federico Corner, Giovanni's father and Marco's brother, who already in 1378 had bequested an order to build the chapel in memory of his brother Marco. The elegant angel holds a large title block engraved with the the noble Federico's eulogy who saved his country during the Chioggia War against the Genoese offering his wealth and his help. The work is by the Donatello school, while the surrounding monochromatic fresco is attributed to Andrea Mantegna or his disciple Palisati Jacopo da Montagnana.