Author: Gian Maria Morlaiter
DATE: 1755 POSITION: opposite of the façade - first statue on the left (on map n° 22) METHOD: sculpture MATERIAL: hard stone
The statue, like all the others of this series, is located in a niche, placed on a typical conoidal rococo platform, with two "modiglione" spirals (an ornamental pattern that is usually found in Corinthian capitals).
The statue of Melchidech was realised by Morlaiter in 1755, and is considered one of the last works done by the artist for the church of the Gesuati. For some there was a considerable difference in quality compared to works such as Moses or St Paul, in fact it is suspected that there was an intervention from the workshop.