Author: Attributed to Luca Della Robbia
DATE: 1475 ca. POSITION: second chapel on the left - Martini Chapel (n°21 on the map)
The chapel ceiling is realized in majolica (a type of ceramic) and contains five clipeuses, encircled in a floral border, which represent the Eternal Father and the Four Evangelists, an imitation of the Portugal Cardinal Chapel in the Basilica of Saint Miniato in Florence, a work by Luca della Robbia.
This particular type of decoration, common in Tuscany during the XV century credited to the Robbia workshop, was brought especially to Venice for the reconstruction of the chapel, which was at that time property of the Martini family who were rich Florentine merchants.