november 21st on the occasion of celebration of Madonna della Salute, the churches of San Polo and Santa Maria del Giglio will be open only for worship. The Church of Gesuati wiil be open from 10.30am to 12.00 am only for worship.
DATE: 1678-1683 POSITION: façade campo Santa Maria del Giglio MEASUREMENT: METHOD: bas-relief in stone
The execution of this celebratory façade from the Barbaro family was entrusted to the architect Giuseppe Sardi in 1679 from the noble Antonio Barbaro's will, which at the point of death, destined thirty thousand ducats for the realization.
The façade is composed of two levels of overlapping paired columns, the inferior is in Ionic style while the superior is in Corinthian style; it finishes with an attic composed by a tympanum and arch.
Starting from the bottom, at the base of the columns, are city maps engraved in bas-relief of the cities: Zara, Candia, Padua, Rome, Corfù, and Spalato, a commemoration of the political and military success of the Barbaro family, and inparticular of the Sea Captain; Antonio.