• churches of San Giovanni and San Stae  On September 14th and 17th the church of San Giovanni and the church of San Stae will be closed.
  • Sunday Openings From septermber 19th to november 14th: Churches of Santa Maria del Giglio, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, San Pietro di Castello, Santa Maria Formosa, San Polo, San Sebastiano and Santo Stefano museum from 12 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • PARTNERSHIP from Monday 5 July and until the end of October, the Choruspass holders will have a discount at the entrance to the Scuoal Dalmata dei Santi Giorgio e Trifone www.scuoladalmatavenezia.it
  • FOR CHORUSPASS HOLDERS starting from April 30th the Basilica dei Frari no grants access to choruspass holders

Churches >  Church of Santa Maria del Giglio
Map of Candia

Author: Giuseppe Sardi
Century: XVII°
DATE: 1678-1683  POSITION: façade campo Santa Maria del Giglio  MEASUREMENT:  METHOD: bas-relief in stone

The execution of this celebratory façade from the Barbaro family was entrusted to the architect Giuseppe Sardi in 1679 from the noble Antonio Barbaro's will, which at the point of death, destined thirty thousand ducats for the realization.

The façade is composed of two levels of overlapping paired columns, the inferior is in Ionic style while the superior is in Corinthian style; it finishes with an attic composed by a tympanum and arch.

Starting from the bottom, at the base of the columns, are city maps engraved in bas-relief of the cities: ZaraCandiaPaduaRomeCorfù, and Spalato, a commemoration of the political and military success of the Barbaro family, and inparticular of the Sea Captain; Antonio.
Chorus - Associazione per le Chiese
del Patriarcato di Venezia

San Polo, 2986 - 30125 Venezia
tel +39 041 27 50 462
fax +39 041 27 50 494
P.Iva 03034040273
REA VE-275205