november 21st on the occasion of celebration of Madonna della Salute, the churches of San Polo and Santa Maria del Giglio will be open only for worship. The Church of Gesuati wiil be open from 10.30am to 12.00 am only for worship.
DATE: 1728 POSITION: second altar on the right MEASUREMENTS: 360 x 178 cm MATERIAL: marble METHOD: bas-relief
The second altar on the right was built in 1728 and dedicated to B.V. Annunziata as bequested by Almorò Pisani. The altarpiece The Annunciation was completely built by Antonio Tarsia (Venice 1663-1739). This relief shows early influences of a new way to sculpt after overcoming the rococo style.
The figure of the praying Virgin who is somewhat disproportionate considering her state of genuflection, receives the Angel's announcement, both are wrapped in soft robes with sharp and precise contours. A less pronounced portion above depicts the Eternal Father in Glory surrounded by angels and cherubs that seem to fall in clusters upon the Virgin.
To the right of the altarpiece a Saint Rose wearing coarser robes and a wreath of roses upon her head, turns her head towards the magical scene, and also from the other side, Saint Domenico observes The Annunciation while holding book.