Author: Francesco Penso known as Cabianca e Andrea Brustolon
DATE: 1711 POSITION: sacristry (on the map n°23) METHOD: sculpture MATERIAL: Carrara marble, pink marble from Verona, yellow marble from Siena and gold-leafed wood
The altar, a rich baroque expression, preserves one of the most famous relics of Venice: the Precious Blood of Christ.
The relic, most venerated in the church of Santa Cristina of Constantinople, came into the possession of Melchiorre Trevisan in 1479. The latter brought it to the Frari Church on March 19, 1480 on the occasion of his return from the East.
The altar's construction date is stated in the inscription, engraved on black marble and placed at the base of the sculptural group.
The three bas-reliefs made by Cabianca in Carrara marble represent The Crucifixion, The Descent from the Cross and The Burial of Jesus Christ. The Angelicon symbols of the Passion are placed in the two lower panes.
The central compartment contains numerous reliquaries adorned with golden horns and carvings, works by Brustolon.
At the top of the sculptural group, above the golden canopy, The Angel with the Holy Face and two Angels are placed.