• DECEMBER 30th ARTISTI VISITS SUSPENDED  in San Giovanni Elemosinario, San Pietro and San Stae. Santa Maria del Giglio open from 2.30pm.
  • PARTNERSHIP the Choruspass holders will have a discount at the entrance to the Scuola Dalmata dei Santi Giorgio e Trifone and to Scuola Grande dei Carmini

Churches >  Church of Santa Maria del Rosario (Gesuati)

The church of Gesuati, the biggest conventual complex of the XVIII century in Venice, was built between 1726 and 1735 for the Dominicans, to replace the church alongside that had become too small for the faithful. The Dominicans took over the Gesuati (from which the name of the church derives) in 1668, when the order was suppressed.

Giorgio Massari was the architect who designed the church and the internal decoration, with the collaboration of two great artists of that time: Giambattista Tiepolo and Gian Maria Morlaiter. The three gained justifiable local fame for the remarkable work done here.

The interior of the building strikes for its noteworthy harmony: particularly interesting is the ceiling decorated by Giambattista Tiepolo with three frescoes that represent "The Apparition of the Virgin to St. Dominic", "The Institution of the Rosary", and The Glory of St. Dominic" with various monochromes. These, along with the other works housed in the church, make this one of the most interesting and complete examples of Venetian art in that epoch: other important artists such as Giambattista Piazzetta, Sebastiano Ricci, and Gian Maria Morlaiter additionally contributed in various paintings found in the church. Of great importance is also an altarpiece by Jacopo Tintoretto, restored by Giambattista Piazzetta, depicting the "Crucifixion", which derives from the church next to it.
MUSICAL INFORMATION (Aldo Bova "Venezia i luoghi della musica")

The double choir, originally had two organs; on the left, the Bazzani organ (1856) has one keyboard and 29 stop knobs.

The sixteenth-century organ doors, painted by Tiziano, are in New York.
Hours from Monday to Saturday, from 10.30 am to 1.30 pm and from 2.30pm to 5pm 
(last entrance ten minutes before closing)
Opere presenti
Chorus - Associazione per le Chiese
del Patriarcato di Venezia

San Polo, 2986 - 30125 Venezia
tel +39 041 27 50 462
fax +39 041 27 50 494
P.Iva 03034040273
REA VE-275205