Giudecca is an island in the Venetian Lagoon lying immediately south of the central islands, from which it is separated by the Giudecca Canal...
The church of San Sebastiano conserves numerous works by Paolo Veronese dedicated to episodes of the Life of the Saint. Veronese worked in the church in three different periods, beginning in 1555 when he decorated the ceiling of the sacristy with The Coronation of the Virgin and the Four Evangelists, followed by decorations of the church ceiling inspired by the Book of Esther. In the second period he executed the fresco decoration of the upper part of the central nave, while in the third Veronese painted the large altarpiece with The Virgin in Glory with Saint Sebastian and other Saints and the two side teleros of the chancel. From here, going along the Giudecca Canal, we come to the church of Santa Maria del Rosario, also called Gesuati, which can be considered the greatest example of a convent complex of the eighteenth century, built between 1726 and 1735 for the Dominican order. The interior of the building displays great harmony: we are particularly struck by the splendid ceiling frescoed by Giambattista Tiepolo with three great panels representing The Apparition of the Virgin to St. Dominic, The Institution of the Rosary and The Glory of St. Dominic, and by numerous monochromes. Crossing the Giudecca Canal we are met by the splendid Palladian architecture of the church of the Santissimo Redentore. It was built on the initiative of the Senate of the Republic in 1577 to keep a vow made during the terrible plague of 1575-77. The interior has the grand simplicity of the classical temple. The plan, incorrectly said to be on a Latin cross, in fact develops ingeniously in a series of concatenated spaces destined for different uses (nave, chancel, choir), all working together in light of the ceremonial procession. The church contains a host of works of great importance, with a large lunette on the entrance façade by Pietro Vecchia depicting The Virgin Presenting Jesus to the Blessed Capucin Felice from Cantalice and, in the first altar on the right, an extraordinary Birth of Jesus by Francesco Bassano.